Tuesday, September 07, 2004

An Underground History of American Education - John Taylor Gatto

An opinion on public schooling by a longtime teacher.

I don't precisely agree with his conclusions, but you can't really argue much with his experience. He really was a stellar example of the best that teachers can be, for thirty years, and apparently, something just snapped and he isn't going to take it any more.

It's not often that you see a multi decade, decorated public school servant turn around and write a book advocating the position that public schooling is a socially predatory abuse of power, and should be dismantled as fast as safely possible.

Yeah.

It warms my anarchist heart to see someone make an about-face of that magnitude. It warms my rationalist heart to see someone correct for that kind of bias.

In fact, though I disagree with many of his proposed solutions, I reject his reasoning for the causes, and motivations of the genesis of american public schooling. I would recommend that everyone read this book. I love seeing writing like this. The vibrancy, the resolve, the 'do not accept' pasted all over it.

It's a great book.

and you can read it for free at the above link. I'm probably going to buy it.

No comments: