Sunday, July 25, 2004

NationMaster

You know, I don't think very much of nations. I think jingoism is a disease, I think that borders and other discontinuities of law are needlessly artificial. And I wonder at people's belief. I understand acceptance, and not fighting. I'm not out throwing molotov cocktails at National Guard tanks, but support? Believing in your country as some kind of moral force? incomprehensible.

but nations are here, and here to stay, for a while at least. And in the meantime, it's important to realize what kinds of effects these regional legal/political/military occupiers have on their local populations.

This guidebook shows very clearly how different populations rank in various categories. Some of the statistics are cultural, some are political, others geographic or organic. There isn't any real discussion on where these statistics come from, which would be the next step, but just the raw, well presented statistics, is useful enough. I don't make any promises as to the accuracy or recentness of the statistics. You can look around on your own.

No comments: